Saturday, February 12, 2011

Therapeutic films?

This is my first attempt at blogging. I intend for this site to be a place for discussion and learning. I know that there are many views on the subjects that I will be talking about from day to day.  I look forward to learn from all who take out time to be involved in this little experiment of mine.

Most of American film goers are going to the movies not to be enlighten but to connect with that deep down pain in their stomachs. We go to movies to be reassured that our pain is real and that gives us a false sense of comfort. It's like when your best friend calls you and complains for a half an hour about some jerk that cut him off on the street. Does your friend want to hear solutions to their problem with pride and anger or do they want to hear you chime in with "That jerk needs someone to drag him out of his car and pummel him with a baseball bat". We enjoy the reassurance that our pain is real and no one is going to take it away from us.
I've notice that besides the mind numbly main stream films that contribute to the self destruction of the human race, there are some films that attempt to send a "real message". These are a different type of mood maker films. I'll call them art films. They're the type of films where the filmmaker is trying extra hard to evoke a feeling in the viewer but has no idea what type of impact it has on the viewers life and perception of the world. Does the artist have a responsibility in how he or she uses their craft to manipulate the viewer in creating a mood which could be detrimental to them?
Should the artist think of the common welfare of the group (him and society), or should he/she create art without the best interest of all involved?
I've been writing/directing for several years now and have been in a constant search for truth. As I grow as a human-being with a deeper understanding of myself and those around me, I've become more aware of the responsibility that I have as an artist/human-being. My gift as a writer/director isn't to make films to boost my ego or to gain status and wealth. My primary purpose for making films is to pass a message of hope to people.
This I do through my unique experience as a human-being in search for a deeper understanding of myself. My experience, strength and hope is something that needs to be in the work that I create or else I'm creating an illusion, another meaningless piece of art that creates a mood but keeps us stuck in our self create delusion, nice and comfy.
I'd love to hear what you folks have to say on this. Please feel free even if it's to let me know that this shit don't make any sense! I'm open to learn from all involved.

Peace

10 comments:

  1. Hello Ade,

    Your commentary was thought provoking. It's nice to see you are willing to share your inner most feelings.

    The comment you made about the movies and why people go is interesting and if film makers are responsible for the message they are delivering and the impact on the viewer.

    I like to go and watch different types of movies. Comedies..for they bring me laughter, Inspirational for they bring me inspiration...Romantic...for they warm my heart....Movies that bring enlightenment which brings me more awareness..and teaches me how to love without fear... each differnt kind of movie can touch some thing inside me not necessarily always painful. I don't go to the movies to feel pain. When I do watch a movie that brings out a tender feeling in me...it is a learning experience and I am humbled and strengthened by it. I love the Art films because it seem they give more heart with their creativity and message. Even though I have gone to what you would consider main stream movies and I have gotten powerful, thought provoking ideas and made me question life itself and because of there message made me step back and evaluate my own personal ideas and thoughts.

    Filmakers above all else have a responsibility to themselves to create there vision....to your ownself be true...as the saying goes.

    Most people might say this....in a perfect world that movies would only have a positive flow to it...but negativity on screen shows us what is so good about positivity. The contrast is what brings awareness.

    The light is what brings forth the shadow. So let's not judge the shadow for it has it's purpose.

    We live in a extroadinary world....beyond our capacity to understand it all...so for now I would think that if it exists it has it's purpose..to bring enlightenment in some manner...let's embrace the differences and keep growing.

    The illusion comes from fear....Not understanding the differences of things, the purpose of all that exists and why things are the way they are...

    It's wonderful you are a filmaker..would love to see one of your movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Ocean. Well said! I agree that we can't have "positive" without the "negative". We can't experience light without dark, that's what makes this world such an exciting place. What a great way to kick off this blog!! Thank you for your comment, it was very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is important to recognize that people use theater, and film as a means of escape, a venue for abusurdity. It is here where one can take comfort in silly little things that keep us "comfy".

    Speaking only for myself, I have sigificantly lowered my standards regarding what to expect from a film. Although, I would like everything to be profound, be it passionate, or funny,or dramatic it just won't ever be.

    I supposed this makes the job of the writers and filmakers (the good ones anyway) even harder. With my lowered expectations in mind, I sit down to my blu-ray, or 10+ dollar a seat, and emerse myself in temporary blistfull ingorance.

    Who knows I may stumble accross a work of art, that is where MY hope lies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sally. You've opened up an important part of this discussion. I admit that I do enjoy "blissful ignorance" from time to time. I watched the comedy "The other guys" twice last month, and I enjoyed the comfy feeling of knowing exactly what to expect and safe feeling of escape. I guess the question is, in a country where our values have become "give me what I know, and more of it", where do we draw the line?
    The entertainment industry is over saturated with films that give us that "comfy" feeling, but do we know at what cost?
    I personally seek films that create a feeling of vulnerability. Films that quite frankly test my "american patience". We want instant gratification.
    In a country filled with self created suffering. We tend to look outward instead of inward for the solution. This society makes it hard to walk around and not have the message of "you are not enough" and "you need this, this and more" thrown in your face.
    In my opinion, I think that it's my obligation as a filmmaker to create films that test the individual. Films that make us feel a little vulnerable, that break the rhythm and cause us to take a look at ourselves. Maybe in time we won't feel the need to seek outward as much.
    Thank for your comment Sally. With your help and others like you, hopefully it will be much easier for you to "stumble across a work of art" in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to add, I have seen Step Brothers (one of my favorites) roughly 10 times. I have also seen The Book of Eli about 10 times. Both are rated R, but other then that are more or less incomparable. They are however two of my favorites, obviously for different reasons. In addition, however ludicris the message in one or the other one chooses to believe it may be, there is STILL a message.

    Some of the most ridiculous hard to fathom movies contain the most intense statement. It is in this, that you will find that reality based films mimic art. This is where the director finds his muse, the beauty, his inspiration.

    When I watch somthing that creates a sense of vunerability, I am inspired. I take a look at myself, my life, and how I am effected, and how I affect others. This makes me wonder if other creative people emmulate there emotions in this manner through their art? What if the manner in which they do so is through absurd film? Or serious? Perhaps a horror flick...what if they message they are trying to send is just different....then you recieved?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world is lucky to have you and your talents

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Sally. This is very true that absurd humor sometimes has very deep and profound messages. One of my favorite films is Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times". In the mist of Chaplin's hilarious antics is his portrayal of post depression Europe, the rise of unemployment and automation. The absurd comedic antics of Chaplin in "Modern Times" mirrors the absurdity of the world that he lived in. Unfortunately we still suffer many of the same problems today, and as filmmakers, I think it's our responsibility to address these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Khrystina. Thank you for your kind words. My reason for this blog is to be able to cultivate experience, ideas, and wisdom from the contributors, and to transfer that into my films. You are all helping me to create.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NIce blog, very thought provoking, in fact it made me almost rethink my project, which happens to be my first feature film. The screen play was written by this blogger and is being directed by the same. The film is strictly hood in nature, complete with that, "my pain is greater than yours" element which you blogged about. The hood language is true to form as well as the characters. The refreshing thing about this film is that there is a redemptive quality to be found. If I can say anything about my film giving people hope or an uplifting I guess it would be...they will see truth and thats the best thing you can give to anyone.(Truth aint always painless or pretty). thanks for the forum. Stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Anonymous. Congratulations on your feature film! As you stated "The truth aint always painless or pretty". Sometimes we need a little pain for learning and self reflection. In my opinion the truth is neither good or bad, it is what it is. I'd love to see some of your work. Have fun with that feature. Thanks for contributing.

    ReplyDelete